Hurricane Sandy has given a me a few much needed days off work to relax and check a few things off my to-do list. Normally, I’d get out and do something fun and adventurous during a 5-day weekend, but this national disaster has put us all under house arrest. After writing some blogs and lesson plans, cleaning the entire apartment, painting my nails, and working out I had to get a little creative.
Here’s “Hilarie’s list of what to do to keep from getting bored and wishing you could go to work”.
1. Cook something. I made two giant pots of butternut squash and vegetable soup, which was really delicious. (Husband says it’s not okay to compliment my own food, but how else will you know that I managed to successfully make a yummy dinner!?!?)
2. Annoy your dog. I took pictures of Belle and teased her for looking nervous when it hadn’t even started storming yet.
3. Because soup isn’t enough…make cookies!
4. Annoy your dog some more. I took some more pics of Belle being cute and sleeping between our laptops.
5. Leave your house and visit a friend with a better view. When, we got really bored we left and went to a friend’s house to enjoy their rooftop view.
6. Find an open restaurant. Hurricanes make me hungry.
7. Carve a pumpkin! Hello! It’s Halloween!
8. Annoy your dog one more time. She could at least pretend to be excited that I just carefully carved her portrait into a pumpkin.
9. Play cards. I taught Dad-in-law and Zoey to play Rook (a favorite in my family)
10. (Husband’s tip) Play with your camera. Husband’s subjects of choice were my wedding rings.
If all of these steps fail then watch a Sex and the City marathon, read a book, drink a few bottles of wine, do some yoga, or take a nap! Work will start again before you know it!
Stay safe NYC, cheers!